New changes for Dare 2015. Please refer to Apply page for more details.
Dare to be Digital is a video games development competition for extremely talented students at Universities and Colleges of Art. Teams of 5 students, usually a mix of artists, programmers and audio, assemble at Abertay University for 9 weeks during June to August to develop a prototype video game, receiving mentoring from industry. The students also receive a weekly stipend of £75 per student, free accommodation at the University's halls of residence and a team budget of £200.
At the end of the competition, the prototypes are displayed at talent showcasing event Dare ProtoPlay. The general public and industry experts get to play and vote for the games. At the Dare awards ceremony, three prizes of £2500 will be awarded to the three highest scoring teams based on the criteria of innovation and creativity, market potential and use of technology (none of the three will be specifically attributed to any particular criterion). Seven months later the winning teams attend the BAFTA Video Games Awards to compete for the coveted "Ones to Watch Award".
We're looking for a diverse range of original, innovative, ground breaking games for all platforms. To read the rules & terms, frequently asked questions, and for information on how to apply, please read the pages in the apply section. These pages also provide information on how you can apply to be a scottish student ambassador within one of the International teams.
Sounds good, yes? If you're still not sure, here are the benefits of taking part:
- Enhance your CV
- Get mentoring from the industry
- Produce a demo to take to interviews
- Hone your skills and get the experience that employers are looking for
- Expose your skills and work to games industry luminaries / potential employers
- Experience working as part of a team
- Weekly stipend of £75
- Team budget of £200
- Free accommodation at Abertay's halls of residence throughout Dare
- Build industry contacts
- Work with friends and make new ones from across the globe
- Opportunity to start your own games studio
- Work on your own ideas
- Exhibit your game at Dare ProtoPlay where thousands will play it
- Chance to win one of three £2500 prizes
- Chance to win the BAFTA Ones to Watch Award
What do people think about Dare?